Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Love letters

Chinese New Year is over but I found my self thinking and craving for love letter wafers.  When I was living in Singapore, these yummy treats were everywhere during the CNY!  I have never seen them before so naturally I was very intrigued. 
love letter wafers
Love letter wafers or "Kueh Kapit" are crispy thin wafers made from coconut milk and flour.  They are a lot like our barquillos except for the strong coconut taste and the auspicious words and symbols that are beautifully embossed on each wafer.  They are either rolled or folder into a triangle.
love letter wafers
So pretty!  I'm not really sure why these wafers are called Love Letters, but a Chinese-Malaysian friend mentioned that there is an old rumor that these cookies were once used to hide romantic notes between lovers.  Isn't that just sweet? :)  

4 comments:

  1. I'm not much for people food, but they do look darn yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy i feel hungry right now and i want that hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen those at the chinese store here. i also wondered why they're called love letters; now i know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the pictures in Flickr, I thought they were placemats (or whatever they're called). LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails